Do English hunters and hound dogs spring to mind when you think of tweed? Well this season, it’s time to think again.
The fashion pack have given the timeless classic a serious upgrade, calling on inspiration from royalty and old-money, upper-class Brits.
The woolen weave was everywhere at the recent 12/13 fashion weeks – with Anna Wintour spotted in a twinset in Paris; Olivia Palermo in a military version in London and a ladylike Kate Bosworth in a pencil skirt in New York.
And it’s not just the celebs who have a serious need for tweed. Rag & Bone called on Far Eastern and English influences for their Fall 2012 collection and Rebecca Minkoff layered it over vintage tees and cool-girl shorts for Spring 2013. Other designers debuted fashion’s latest power couple: tweed and leather, with DKNY, Charlotte Ronson and Derek Lam leading the way.
While you might not be able to get your hands on the iconic Chanel boucle jacket, don’t despair. The tweed trend has stepped down from the catwalks to hit the high-street just in time for winter – look to Zara, asos and Maje for the best statement pieces.
So just how exactly do you incorporate some tweed into your wardrobe, without looking like a stuffy professor? Stay away from fitted blazers (and cigar pipes, for that matter) – instead keep it sexy and cool in an oversized coat with leather accents or sophisticated with a boxy jacket, skinny jeans and a pointy-toed stiletto.
If a full-blown tweed pantsuit is a little too much, opt for some warm woolen accessories – ease into the trend with some gloves, printed scarves or a simple satchel. Just one thing: stay away from deerstalker hats, unless you want to be mistaken for Sherlock Holmes.
1) Marc by Marc Jacobs, £88.91, Shopbop. Luxe and super-soft, this two-tone scarf will give a pop of colour to any black ensemble.
2) Harris Tweed shoulder bag, £48, haristweedshop.com. Still getting used to the trend? Start out with a simple purse or bag.
3) Tasha sparkle tweed collar, £24.90, Nordstrom. Peter Pan collars + tweed = the perfect match.
4) Kirna Zabete for Target tweed dress, $44.99, target.com. Designer collabs always fly off the shelf and after SJP was snapped in this shift dress, you better grab it while you can.
5) ASOS tweed shorts, £30, asos.com. Tweed is perfect for winter – match high-waisted shorts with opaque tights for the cooler weather.
6) Urban Outfitters Cooperative Tweedy Fingerless Glove, $16, urbanoutfitters.com. A hint of hobo-chic – these gloves are a steal for less than $20.
7) Maje leather and tweed coat, €445, maje.com. Emma Stone has been spotted in this exact leather and tweed coat from French label Maje.
8) Zara fantasy skirt with splits, £59.99, zara.com. Up the sex appeal in this boucle pencil skirt with a flash of black lace. Oh la la!