Technology has advanced rapidly in recent years. The adaptation of social media websites such as Facebook and Instagram, the invention of the first iPhone in 2007, and the ever-increasing popularity of online streaming sites have taken the world by storm.
Unfortunately, technological advancements lead to an increase in cybercrime. According to Cyber Laws & Information Security Advisors, cybercrime is a form of threats, hacks, and malicious acts surrounding the online world. It can even consist of hacking connected cars, security breaches, theft, and financial exposure.
This post will outline what you can do in order to stay vigilant against cybercrime, and highlight the benefits of cyber security and cyber insurance. You can learn more it through sapphire.net.
In a study by Markel Direct, it was found that between 2020 and 2021, ‘Hacking social media and email’ had the highest number of record cases in comparison to other cybercrime types (see below):
This contributes to the overall importance of cyber security. Social media and email use during the Covid-19 pandemic were on the rise, leading to an increase in vulnerability for users. It’s no secret that cybercrimes are on the rise, and having a dependable internet crime attorney in your corner is more important than ever. To learn more about the services offered by https://www.newjerseycriminallawattorney.com/white-collar-crime/internet-crime/, explore their website and discover how they can help protect your interests and rights.
You can aim to prevent cyber crimes as stated by criminal defense attorneys in Bloomfield Hills to follow these tips:
● Choosing strong passwords- a password 8 characters or longer, containing a capital letter, a lower case letter, a number, and a special character are the most secure passwords.
● Don’t reuse passwords- try to use a unique password for different websites.
● Consider using a password manager- password managers can protect your passwords and generate stronger passwords for you automatically. The best password manager for mac will secure your online accounts.
● Securing your internet network with a VPN- this makes your network a lot more secure and private.
● Keeping specific information private on your social media pages- you might not realize who you are sharing your information with. If you don’t have to, don’t share it.
● Using firewalls- this prevents any unauthorized access to your computer network.
● Not connecting to the internet if you don’t have to.
● Staying away from suspicious links and attachments- It is definitely important to maintain a degree of skepticism about anything out of the ordinary. A strange email, phone call or text message from an unrecognized sender should definitely be treated with caution if you think something doesn’t seem right.
Cyber criminals will more than likely consider targeting self-employed individuals, as well as SME’s (due to their resources to invest into network security). This is where cyber insurance would be extremely beneficial- where there is a data breach, cyber insurance helps you with the cost of recovery, the legal defense costs, the cost of informing clients, etc. Furthermore, if your company stores any sensitive information online, insurance such as cyber liability insurance would provide a necessary extra layer of protection- this extra layer of protection could prove to be integral in preventing the breach of sensitive customer or employee information.
Although the cost of cyber security and insurance may seem expensive, they will be extremely beneficial in the avoidance of cybercrimes. Education is an important factor- understanding your personal security online will definitely help you in the long run. And if you need top-tier security professionals who possess the expertise, experience, and dedication required to safeguard against evolving cyber threats, then you may consider getting help from a Cyber security staffing agency.