7 things we need to make our Fashion Month experience absolutely perfect
Come rain or shine, a stylish umbrella is a true Fashion Week savior!
September is a month that marks new beginnings; the start of the new school year, a new season, and of course, the first time we get to see designers’ new Spring/Summer collections.
Last Thursday marked the beginning of our favourite time of year: Fashion Month. The fash pack flocked to New York to kick things off and will then move to London and Milan before finishing things off in Paris.
As glamorous and fun as fashion week is, anyone who’s been will know it’s quite the whirlwind. From choosing the perfect outfits for the different days, running between the shows and dodging the street-style photographers (all the while trying to look fabulous, darling), it can be pretty intense. And what if it rains? We Londoners are no strangers to raindrops and last season, Mother Nature must have had something to be awfully sad about because she was crying for days. But there is always something pretty or fabulous that could come from a rainy London or Paris day and here at YCB, we are always ready to pull our best looks whatever the weather-forecast.
We’ve knocked up a list of our fashion week essentials – a survival kit, if you will – featuring a stylish umbrella from Umbra Mia, that will see you through and make sure you stay on top of your game!
1. Jumping from city to city means you may encounter all sorts of different weather. No doubt it will be raining in London, whilst the weather in New York at the moment is hot, hot, hot. You’re going to need something to help you battle the elements, so first on our list is an umbrella. It will shade you from the sun (premature ageing is not chic) and shelter you from the rain, should the clouds beckon. Don’t worry about ruining your outfit though; this umbrella from Umbra Mia is so stylish it can easily be pulled off as your hot new accessory. It even comes with a gold knuckle-duster handle so you’ve got your jewellery sorted.
2. Another weather-related must is a pair of sunglasses; no fashion week attendee is complete without a pair, and the bigger the better. We love this tortoiseshell cateye pair by Jeepers Peepers that will brighten up any outfit (and disguise any dark circles you may have towards the end of the week!)
3. A pair of heels is a necessity for fashion week but negotiating the cobbles at Somerset House, the streets of New York, and Paris’ metro system is no mean feat. A chunky heel like this pair from Zara will work perfectly and are comfortable enough to carry you through the whole day.
4. Fashion week is the best place for style inspiration: the most stylish people around the globe are all concentrated in one place, showcasing the latest trends. But with so much all in one place, you’re going to want to snap it up. This Olympus Stylus Compact Digital Camera is small enough to pop in your bag while still producing high quality photos.
5. Next up is a great big clutch. The fashionista’s bag of choice, it looks incredibly chic and goes with every outfit. This Givenchy clutch is a classic as well as statement piece, and it’s big enough to fit everything you need without looking bulky.
6. Feel like you’re looking a bit worn out after just a few days of fashion week? A bright red lipstick is a beauty classic and will deter from tired eyes. Topshop’s lipstick in Trigger will suit every skin tone.
7. Our last item on the essentials list is coconut water. Fashion week is thirsty work and you’re definitely going to need to keep your energy levels up (and have something to drink between glasses of champagne!)