Trend alert: the plaid fad
Grunge is making a huge comeback this season, and the easiest way to take on the trend (kohl-rimmed eyes aside) is with a touch of plaid. We’ve already seen tartan popping up on the Fall 2013 runways from the likes of 3.1 Phillip Lim, Marc by Marc Jacobs and Rebecca Minkoff, and now the high-street stores are stocking up on key ready-to-wear looks.
Plaid is a perfect transseasonal print – swap your usual chambray shirt for a checked version (tied around the waist of course), or invest in a cocoon-style coat for winter in charcoal or houndstooth. Avoid the lumberjack look by teaming the tartan with leather trousers, peep-toe boots and sheer, silk blouses.
Get the look:
1. Equipment Reese Shirt, $248, equipment.fr
Nobody does shirts quite like Equipment, and this oversized boyfriend-style is the perfect fit.
2. Zara Checked Wool Coat, €119, zara.com
Throw a thick coat over a basic all-black ensemble for an off-duty model look.
3. Topshop Sequin Check Pencil Skirt, £45, topshop.com
Plaid isn’t just for daytime – a few sequins add sexy, shiny sparkle.
4. Harvey Faircloth High Waisted Plaid Shorts, £195.95, shopbop.com
Mix and match your prints with a striped knit and studded slippers.
5. Free People Plaid Washed Bleach Scarf, £48, freepeople.co.uk
Keep this lightweight scarf in your bag for those cooler summer nights.
6. Rubbish Plaid Shirtdress, £35.22, shop.nordstrom.com
Team with a vintage denim jacket, a sky-high quiff and some serious ‘tude.
7. Marc by Marc Jacobs Aimee Trompe L’Oeil Merino Wool Sweater, £260, net-a-porter.com
A luxe knit to take you from work to the weekend.
8. Topshop Check Cigarette Trousers, £40, topshop.com
Plaid pants should be treated with caution – skip bright colours like red and yellow unless you’ve just come from the golfing green.
9. Capulet Peak Lapel Blazer, £98, asos.com
A tailored blazer adds a preppy-cool twist to the trend.