Some have called it a cult, others have called it the greatest workout they will ever experience. SoulCycle has become a national phenomenon (and soon international) in only a few short years. What started as one 31-bike indoor cycling studio in New York City founded by Elizabeth Cutler and Julie Rice (their babysitters were the first employees) has grown in to a community of over 300,000 unique riders in 38 studios across the United States.
Celebrity fans include David Beckham, Alessandra Ambrosio, Vanessa Hudgens, Katie Holmes and Jennifer Lawrence to name a few. As an obsessive devotee myself ( I won’t even tell you how many skill-adorned shirts I have) for the last three years I can pretty much nail down what most people are thinking during a spin class.
1. I’ve totally got this. I have the apparel down pat and I think I convincingly look like I know how to put my bike in the right position. Plus, I figured out those tricky lockers so I am pretty sure I am a genius.
2. Ugh this knob won’t budge. Do they want us to use all our energy setting up the bike?
3. Wow, that girl is in really good shape. She like owns this place. Total FRM (front row material). Note to self, workout so you look better for your workout.
4. OK, we’re starting! My instructor looks like a model and seems to have caffeine running through her veins instead of blood, but I am OK with that!
5. Made it through the warmup and I am now already sweating but that’s what it is about!
6. Girl on my left is amazing. Girl on my right is literally in a different class called “Rhythm? Who Needs It!?”
7. Ugh first hill, So tired.
8. This song will never end.
9. I never realised how long this Taylor Swift song was? Seriously this is epic. Shut up, Taylor! Shut up no! Girl squad more like girl let me tell you the longest story ever in this song.
10. I’m dying. Am I dying? No dead people don’t sweat this much.
11. OMG is that a pregnant woman going faster than me? Move your ass.
12. OK, less resistance and a faster beat. I can do this.
13. Nope, no I can’t. Bring back the hill.
14. Why did I even wear this cute outfit? It is totally drenched now.
15. Am I the only one sweating this much? Do I have some sort of gland issue?
16. Damn you Missy Elliott and your fantastic beats!
17. Yah! We are finally to weights!
18. Ugh we are doing weights.
19. Did I feed my cat this morning? What is there was SoulCycle for cats?
20. Nope I thought that Taylor Swift’s song was long but I was wrong. This is the longest song ever.
21. This instructor is a massachist and now my mortal enemy.
22. We’re done with weights! My arms are still attached to my body! It’s a miracle. My instructor is a genius.
23. Last song! Last song! Oh gosh we are going to be running the whole time.
24. But I did it and it feels awesome. I can take on the world…. once I can feel my legs again.