Spend hours picking out the perfect outfit. A mani-pedi is a must. Invest in those Michael Kors Sandals you’ve had your eye on for weeks, and jog that extra mile, all in an effort to be fresh and ready for your first date with Mr. Perfect, the guy you’ve been dreaming about who finally asked you out.
But, when you actually go on the date, here are some DON’Ts that might make the difference in being asked out on a second date versus sitting by the phone waiting for a call from him that will never come.
1. Don’t eat like a bird. This is all part of being yourself. If you like to eat and/or if you are hungry, just eat. If you pick at your food, one of three things will happen. One, he’ll think you don’t like the meal, two, he’ll feel uncomfortable that he is eating and you’re not, or three, he’ll think you have an eating disorder.
2. Don’t keep checking your iphone. Put the thing in your purse and keep it there. If this guy is taking you out for dinner he deserves your full attention. You can text your girlfriends back when you get home!
3. Don’t pay for dinner. Make the guy feel like the guy by paying. If you offer to pay the first time you go out, he will probably be disappointed and feel less manly. My rule of thumb is offer (insist, actually) on paying on the fourth date.
4. Don’t talk about your last relationship. Unless you were dating a beautiful woman or a celebrity, refrain from rehashing any details of your last relationship, as well as why you broke up. Details about cheating, fighting and all of your ex’s faults will have this guy running away so fast your head will spin.
5. Don’t sleep with the guy. Duh.
First Date Red Flags: If he does any of these, dump him!
If he orders several cocktails (more than three) on the date, dump him!
If he keeps checking his iphone, dump him!
If he talks about his mother non-stop, dump him!
If he remotely alludes to how great the sex with you is going to be, dump him!
If he gets the bill and questions the waiter about something on it, dump him!