With the weather starting to warm up, now’s the time to break out the ab-cruncher and tone up your tummy. Spring’s biggest trend is all about the crop top… And no, we don’t mean the one you wear on the treadmill. The humble t-shirt has sizably shrunk this season, with designers such as Phillip Lim and Balenciaga leading the way. However, before you shrug this off as something only rail-thin 14-year-olds can wear, take a sartorial cue from sophisticated celebs like Diane Kruger and Freida Pinto who have turned this festival favourite into red-carpet glamour.
So do you dare to bare? Here are our favourite picks – there’s everything from peek-a-boo bodices to teeny tiny bralets. Skin is in!
1. Zara Cropped T-shirt, £15.99, zara.com
For a transseasonal look, layer this basic over your favourite summer dress. Plus, it hides any lingering winter lumps and bumps!
2. House of Holland Jacquard Tweed Bustier, £220, brownsfashion.com
Straight off the runway, this metallic bustier also nails the peplum trend.
3. Sparkle & Fade Lurex Cut-Out Crop Top, £16, urbanoutfitters.co.uk
A festival essential. Grab your denim cut-offs and a wide-brimmed hat and you’re good to go.
4. One Teaspoon Pretty Boy Biker Bra Top, £66.76, shopbop.com
Pretend you’re on a summer vacay with this Hawaiian-print bodice and a classic black maxi.
5. Rihanna for River Island Yellow Knot Back Turtle Neck, £35, riverisland.com
Rihanna is the crop top queen – her latest collection is overflowing with slashed sweaters.
6. Asos Floral Print Beach Knot Side Crop Top and Short Set, £30, asos.com
Just like a playsuit, except with side vents.
7. BCBG Runway Raya Cropped Top, US$278, bcbg.com
A sophisticated tank that will take you from night to day. Keep it tailored with a pencil skirt and bust out the printed skorts after hours.
8. All Saints Graffiti Tee, £195, allsaints.com
Did someone say PARTY?
9. Topshop Jacquard Crop Top, £32, topshop.com
Team this pretty pattern with a pair of flowing palazzo pants for a glam French Riviera vibe.