A dear friend of mine once told me, when you love what you have, you have everything that you love. I did not understand his words at first; but after a life-changing experience, I realised he was right. I only had to open my eyes and observe. I only had to be present. I won’t go on and develop on my experience – at least, not on this post. However, I will help you find reasons to be happy today.
Scrolling down on Goodreads, I find this – for every minute you are angry you lose sixty seconds of happiness. It’s a quote by Ralph Waldo Emerson. I decide to ignore it and scroll down some more. Then I stop, scroll back up, and start writing this article. I can’t let this go – not today. Today, I choose to share my wisdom with you. Feel free to take a look at my tips on how to make your day better. Now it’s all that matters; remember that.
According to Scientific American, people who engage in even a small amount of exercise reported better mental health than others who did none. Now, why is that? Why do we feel better when we exercise? Dive into my list and find out the response.
- Exercise helps our systems release an increased level of dopamine, which is an internal body compound responsible for happiness.
- It releases stress and anxiety. Haven’t you noticed? You forget all about worries while you exercise. Scientifically, this happens because you are raising your heart rate and triggering a hormone-outburst.
- It boosts up your mood – your energy levels increase with exercise.
- You’ll feel more confident and less tired! – it’s been proved that better-looking people believe in themselves more (although I believe everyone should feel good with exactly who they are).
Do Something Unusual
Have you ever thought about doing something exciting and suddenly realised, “wait! But I can’t. I must do this.” Now it’s time to let that go. Simply let it go. Go and do that unusual, exciting activity you’ve always dreamed about. Improve your day by following your instincts and emotions. Decide for yourself, don’t let others decide for you. They can’t make your day happier. You can.
Take a Hot Bath
You have no clue how a hot bath can improve your mood. Relaxing, reading, dreaming – mixed up, they’re the key to instant happiness. Leave your worries aside. Go on and take a bath!
Give, Don’t Ask
Many people expect love, but they never give love. Many people expect help, but they never help. How can one be happy without offering? Giving without expecting anything in return is the most beautiful thing you could do today. It could be your best friend, your mom, or a stranger. Do something for one of them today. Buy your mom a flower, thank your friend for his or her affection, or offer a homeless person a hot meal. You’ll suddenly become happier.
It’s the little things in life that bring us happiness. Embrace everything that comes your way. Most of the times, people control everything that happens in their lives or runs through their minds. Every thought, action, activity is controlled. Let that go today. Just live life and observe what’s happening around you. Don’t hurry into anything today. Notice the beautiful street and trees that surround your house. Observe people’s faces and consider their emotions. Emphasise with one’s joy.
Meditation is the art of mindfulness and the practice of self-awareness. It’s also the art of being present. Try it out today and see if it can help your mood. Here are some guidelines
- Choose a quiet place – preferably in nature – and sit on the ground with your back straight. If you have back problems, lay down on the ground, but keep an open position.
- Close your eyes and concentrate on your breathing. Breathe in, breathe out. Let all the positive light enter your body. When you exhale, think about releasing the negative vibes. Continue this way for at least five breathing cycles.
- Now, breathe normally. Focus your attention on the act of breathing. Thank the Universe (or God, or whatever you believe in) for being alive.
- Connect to your thoughts and liberate the pressure that’s been bothering you. Cry if you feel like it. Do anything that helps you release the stress.
- Come back to the present moment and live life. Become aware of your presence. Let your conscious know that you know you’re alive.
If you’re a timetable-freak, welcome to the club. Take some moments today to plan everything out. Whether it’s the following week or a trip to Paris, map out a well-designed schedule for it. If it’s work, leave time for relaxation and schedule breaks. If it’s vacation, leave room for mindfulness.
Learn Something New
Operating similarly every day to maintain the routine can have its perks, but it could also turn into a dull experience. What if you learned something new today? Here are some ideas:
- How to skydive
- How to speed read
- How to repair your home
- Cooking like a pro
- How to write essays
- Learning to defense yourself
- How to become more confident
- Developing mental skills, etc.
“I found out that learning something new can bring people happiness in an instant. That’s because your mind concentrates on storing new information and processing data. When you finally get it, you get excited – and that’s when happiness pops up,” shares Kayla Smith, freelancer at BestEssayTips and world traveler.
Today, be grateful. Today, don’t be picky. Appreciate everyone and everything that comes your way. Find gratitude in your challenges. Be mindful and develop spiritually; write down your feelings and emotions. Volunteer and help other people out. Express your love. Do a thorough self-analysis.
I’m ending with this point when I should’ve started with it because I want to draw your attention to how important love is. Share the love, and you shall receive it back. Without love, everything loses value. Love everything but start by loving yourself first. Beauty comes from within.
You can design your own happiness by taking a moment to realize how beautiful life is. If you choose to be ignorant of life’s wonders, your destiny will unfold ungraciously. If, on the other hand, you choose to love, be mindful, care about yourself, and share before receiving, you’ll become happier. In the end, it’s your choice only.
By: Peter Hill